Re: Some bugs for balsa 2.0.2

On 2002.09.17 19:12 Lemmit Kaplinski wrote:
[ glowing praise snipped ]
> Bugs
>
> * Balsa does not open INBOX at startup although instructed so

It does open Inbox, for me, when that option is checked. Have you
set an IMAP INBOX as your Inbox?  That might raise an issue.

> * When opening a mailbox, some message in the middle gets
> selected by default (say I have 100 messages in INBOX, then on
> opening INBOX, message 49 or 50 will get selected). It should
> remember previously selected message or select none at all

There's no mechanism currently for remembering the selected
message--it could be added to the wish list. The intent is to
open the first unread message, or the last message if there is
nothing unread--`last' according to the initial sort, which is by
message number.  Is that not working?

> * Mailbox view doesn't remember sorting criteria (From,
> Subject, Date...)

It should!  Another for the wish list?

> * Mailbox view does not allow selecting multiple messages (for
> deleting or moving)
> * Mailbox view handles focus incorrectly. The message list
> never gets focus, so up/down keys and <enter> don't work for
> selecting and opening messages

That's being corrected--a patch is currently in cvs.

> * In the context menu, where you can mark existing boxes as
> Inbox|Sentbox|something, Outbox is missing so I am stuck with
> the one I set up at first start

I don't know why `mark as outbox' is missing--anyone?

> (I later pointed others over to my Evolution maildir boxes and
> it has worked flawlessly)

Yes, maildir works fine.

> * Unless the option "destroy and delete messages utterly and
> immidiately" or similar is selected, deleted messages don't get
> deleted when emtying the trash.

Right--the trash is a real mailbox, so `empty the trash' really
does just delete the messages that have been moved there.
Messages in a mailbox that have been marked `deleted' don't get
removed until the mailbox is closed or committed--by design. It
works well for me, but I'm used to it!
> * There are a lot of messages that crash balsa and not all of
> them are Asian SPAM letters. This has forced me to switch off
> preview pane (with the auto-selecting a message in the middle
> bug, you can get into a loop this way - balsa crashes for some
> message in a mailbox, when you reopen balsa and select the box,
> it auto-selects a buggy message in the middle and crashes
> again. Have to be quick to select another mailbox ;). I would
> be happy to send such mails to you, but I obviously don't want
> my personal correspondence available in the Bug system.

Are they html?  We're still waiting for a robust html package...

> * POP timeout is too small and it is not identified as timeout.
> I had a lot of trouble until I discovered that my POP3 server
> was trying to send me back and ident request which timed out,
> but balsa gave up even earlier. The server was RH7.2 with
> xinetd 2.3.3 (that did the ident lookup), don't know about
> others. I disabled the ident lookup, but increasing POP timeout
> should do the trick in cases where server is out of your
> control.

Anyone?

> * Selecting Filters from the Edit menu always crashes Balsa

Hmm--not for me, but then, I have one or two defined, and there
may be some corner cases. Could you provide a stack trace?

> Feature requests
> * When downloading POP messages, it would be preferable to see
> the count of messages, not the bytes downloaded

Anyone?

> * Is there a reason for headers being in the order that Subject
> is before CC:. It confuses me, but maybe there's a reason?

Anyone?

> I hope this is of help and as I said - if you need detailed
> information, let me know.

It's great to get the feedback!