Re: Some bugs for balsa 2.0.2

Hi,

you sure are fast :)

As I understand some 2/3 of my report can be discarded. Good, will
check out CVS tomorrow.

> It does open Inbox, for me, when that option is checked. Have you set
> an IMAP INBOX as your Inbox?  That might raise an issue.

No, I use POP3 and I did not see an option to set one of my two
accounts as INBOX. The letters just end up there. Maybe we have a
different understanding of opening. It does open INBOX in the sense
that it is ... not scanned like most other folders when I click on
them. Something to do loading the  message headers and ordering them I
presume. But it is not opened in the sense that it is automatically
selected when launching balsa.
> There's no mechanism currently for remembering the selected
> message--it could be added to the wish list. The intent is to open
> the first unread message, or the last message if there is nothing
> unread--`last' according to the initial sort, which is by message
> number.  Is that not working?

Hmm - now that I retried it did not select any message at all. And I do
have unread messages as well. I'll just complain that it behaves
inconsistenly and unpredictably, but there are probably more important
issues.

> I don't know why `mark as outbox' is missing--anyone?

Carlos suggested it is a policy. Please consider changing this policy
if there is no mysterious reason.

> Right--the trash is a real mailbox, so `empty the trash' really does
> just delete the messages that have been moved there. Messages in a
> mailbox that have been marked `deleted' don't get removed until the
> mailbox is closed or committed--by design. It works well for me, but
> I'm used to it!

Aha, now that you explained it, it works. But I am persistent and would
really suggest you simplify the process. With both a Trashcan _and_
deleted messages in mailboxes, there's a lot of duplication UI-wise
where you have several ways to trash a message. I understand the system
has something to do with giving the user power to commit his changes or
not do it. With Gnome2, the trend is auto-apply everywhere and I am all
for it (with a chance of recovery in case of accidents and that is what
the trash is for). When it comes down to it, this is yet another
feature request. If it makes your life easier, I will insert all of
them into the bug tracker

>> * There are a lot of messages that crash balsa and not all of them
>> are Asian SPAM letters. This has forced me to switch off preview
>> pane (with the auto-selecting a message in the middle bug, you can
>> get into a loop this way - balsa crashes for some message in a
>> mailbox, when you reopen balsa and select the box, it auto-selects a
>> buggy message in the middle and crashes again. Have to be quick to
>> select another mailbox ;). I would be happy to send such mails to
>> you, but I obviously don't want my personal correspondence available
>> in the Bug system.

> Are they html?  We're still waiting for a robust html package...

Most probably. But even HMTL renderer (gtkhtml?) crashing, balsa should
remain stable?

Carlos asked me to file a report for these messages. so far I have seen
around 10 of these and probably will more. Do you want a separate
report for every message? Do you want the emails attached to the
report? In the later case I would send them directly to those involved.
Sorry, a little paranoia never hurts :)

>> * Selecting Filters from the Edit menu always crashes Balsa
>
> Hmm--not for me, but then, I have one or two defined, and there may
> be some corner cases. Could you provide a stack trace?

I will do so, but I have to finish this letter first...

>> Feature requests
>> * When downloading POP messages, it would be preferable to see the
>> count of messages, not the bytes downloaded

Again, as Carlos said, it does. This is a question of target audience.
If it's fellow hackers, bits'n'bytes are probably OK, but being more of
a litterary person myself, I'd opt for just the number of messages and
nice progress bar. Yet another RFE.

>> * Is there a reason for headers being in the order that Subject is
>> before CC:. It confuses me, but maybe there's a reason?
>
> Anyone?

And another - make them like they used to be in the days of our fathers.

I'll install bug-buddy now and try to get some traces

The best,

L.