Re: [RFC] : small doc for beginner wanting to test Balsa from CVS

On 18.02.2002 07:53 Rikke D . Giles wrote:
> Hey Manu,
>
> I was using your beginners-help to download the balsa cvs, as I
> mentioned I would.  First thing I ran into, (I'm acting as someone
> completely unfamiliar with cvs) is
>

> 'No CVSROOT specified!  Please use the `-d' option
> cvs [checkout aborted]: or set the CVSROOT environment variable.'
>
> This was after I did this:
> echo ":pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.gnome.org:/cvs/gnome A" > ~/.cvspass
>
> So I changed that line to CVSROOT=":pserver.......
> and put this and CVSROOT (on the export line) in my .bash_profile.  I
> think this was correct to do, but I'm not completely sure, and wonder if
> there are other ways?

Ooops you're right, I've forgotten that one. You've fixed the correct way.
I'll add that to the doc.

> Anyway, then I got the 'no route to host' error.  I think this must be
> the time of day, so I will try again later, as you suggested.  Also,

Yes I routinely retry 3 or 4 times to get the update, so be patient.

> like an idiot, I was trying to do this in a gterm window while su into
> my new 'balsa' user identity.  Of course it wasn't happy because the
> .bash_profile was wrong, so I made sure to open a new console and log in
> as my new identity.  I think this is correct?  I don't know if this
> helps, or should be added to the beginners-help or not.  I'm not very

Oh yes perhaps, sure the bash_profile won't apply if you're using su.

> familiar with CVS at all (I've only used it once before), so this is new
> to me :).  It's ironic, I've been a coder for years, but on solo or only
> one or two people projects.   I really like balsa, find it a very handy
> and good client, and would like to help at least find bugs, if I can't
> find the time to shoot them as well.  So once again, thanks for the
> How-to, and the nudge to make me stop being lazy, and give back to the
> project!

Testing is surely an honorable way to contribute, there are still bugs
hiding here and there in the code. Moreover with the port to gtk+-2,
testing will become of great importance.

> PS Sorry to have sent this to the group, but for some reason balsa, or
> more likely my isp, is barfing on the message submission if I reply
> directly to Manu, or hand type his address in.  I've had this happen
> before, although I'm really not sure why.  I get the 'message submission

Humm curious. Anyway my (mangled) address is : e.allaud at wanadoo dot fr

Bye
Manu