Re: open letter to pawel

Am 17.02.02 20:16:29 schrieb(en) Pawel Salek:
> else. The most important issues (IMO) to resolve in the nearest future are:

*Please* don't forget PGP/GPG support!

> Do not mistake balsa for what it is not. We do not have several developers
> working full time on the code (as evolution team has). I imagine that you
> know very well that best ideas are such that come with code implementing
> them.

I would like to add at this point that IMHO balsa might be the MUA being
closest to the standards. In my company, people use StarOffice (built upon
Mozilla), Nutscrape, Notes and (ugh) Outlook. *Any* of these has more or
less strange interpretations of what they think standards might be (reminds
me of the discussion this afternoon concerning Bcc... ;-)). Crazy mime
separators (like SOffice), the Euro character put at some arbitrary location
in ISO-8859-1 (needless to say that they don't interpret 8859-15 correctly),
and so on. I also gave Sylph a try (maybe a month ago). The first thing I
saw was that it simply violates 2045 and friends in header encoding (e.g.
the nasty Umlaut in my name). Trying to keep a program robust and *and*
close to the standards is less visible than gui improvements, but it is
really important.

> Please stick to the fact. Jelmer work is great (Jelmer, thanks!) but the
> job to do is even greater and the code currently does not compile with
> GNOME-2.

We should, IMO, also keep a Gnome 1.x compliant version, as lots of people
have a working environment and want to keep it. Especially in a company, you
do not upgrade your system every month...

> Would it help if I posted regularly a TODO list (I guess I could post one
> weekly)? Other suggestions?

I would strongly support that!!! Maybe even mailed on a regular basis (say
once every fortnight)?

Just my ¤0.01 (was DEM 0.02, apporx...)

Cheers, Albrecht.

  Albrecht Dreß  -  Johanna-Kirchner-Straße 13  -  D-53123 Bonn (Germany)
        Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  mailto:albrecht.dress@arcor.de