Re: Balsa GUI stalls during mail check

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 10:03:03 Brian Stafford wrote:
> On Mon, 11 February 21:14 Pawel Salek wrote:

>>> My first goal is indeed to support local mailboxes, that is difficult
>>> enough to start with. Support for remote mailboxes, like imap, should
>>> be easy to add later.
>>
>> Well, it will be easy provided you remember about proper structure. I
>> actually think that doing converse might be easier, i.e implementing
>> imap first. But it is just an impression.
You mean implementing a imap lib first and then change Balsa over to that
one? Getting Balsa to use a different mailbox implementation is quite
hard, it assumes a lot of things that libmutt handles.

> My own feeling is that unless a new IMAP client offered significant
> enhancement over the one in libmutt, implementing one is probably wasted
> effort.  Unlike SMTP and POP-3 which are orthogonal to MIME and can
> stand alone from it, IMAP is intimately bound to MIME.  I suspect that
> IMAP could not be added to a mailbox library that did not understand
> MIME in some way.
Well take a look at http://www.geocities.com/haleykd/api/index.html
Kenneth Haley has been trying to define a mailbox API that should work
with IMAP. I'm working on changing Balsa to use this new interface, and
even for the local access it is a major rewrite of the mailbox handling.

I have a patch that is a little bit old at
http://demands.xs4all.nl/~magick/libmailbox-0.patch.gz
If you want do do some work on this, i have a version that is more up to
date agains the current CVS. Areas ppl can work on are:
-The libbalsa/mailbox_local variants have to be reworked to use the server
mechanism.
-Implementing the maildir and mh mailbox handlers/modules.
-Changing the current API to the at the above website.
If your going to do this or something else, contact me and we can
coordinate.

Bart
--
Fingerprint = CD4D 5601 287D F075 6F96  6157 99F9 E56A 4B08 6D06