Balsa GUI stalls during mail check

The Balsa GUI is out to lunch while Balsa goes to check mail.
This behavior has grown more pronounced as the number of messages
in some of my folders has grown (OK - so I'm a packrat :-)).
But it is what I expect multi-threading to prevent.

As it is, for several seconds I cannot scroll the message I'm
reading, move to a new message or even see what I'm typing if
I'm composing a new message.

I don't mind Balsa taking cpu time to get and sort incoming
messages (that's what I have a dual 1G Athlon for) but I do
mind that it isn't paying attention to _me_.

I'd be perfectly willing to work on improving this, if I'd only
know where to start... Any hints?

Thanks, Willem Riede.