Re: Insert signature patch

On 2001.05.16 09:20:04 +0100 Brian Stafford wrote:

> Another thought I had was to allow pine's trick of specifying
> a list of fallback servers,
> e.g. "host1.example.org, host2.example.org ..."

shouldn't this be done with dns ?

> Finally, there is another way to start a service ... the way inetd
> does using fork/exec and running the protocol across a pipe or
> AF_LOCAL socket. Sendmail operates this way with the -bs option
> running an SMTP session on its standard input.  This type of operation
> might have its place in libESMTP (if I do this I might add support
> for te LMTP protocol too).  A syntax to allow this might look like
> "|/usr/sbin/sendmail -bs".

that would be great and allow balsa to do away with the --with-esmtp
sillyness (which i added). actually, when i was doing it i was thinking
the correct aproach would to write a small lib using the libESMTP API
to do local MTA and shipping that with balsa. if you're already planning
on having it on main libESMTP i'm Happy :)

> Right now, I don't think there would be much harm in having the
> fallback behaviour. However, as 587 is adopted for message submission
> and 25 only adds a Received: header, very different behaviour
> can result on each port even if the same server is listening on
> both ports.  Right now, I feel this makes the fallback algorithm
> broken behaviour and thus should not be implemented by libESMTP.

Ok.

> | should the muas themselfs do this ? any (strong) opinion?
>
> Other than the problem outlined above, the only issue here is that it
> might interact badly with libESMTP's semantics for the server name,
> especially if I extend the syntax.
>
> However something along the lines of
> 	smtp_set_server (session, "localhost:587");
> 	if (!smtp_start_session (session)
> 		&& smtp_errno () == -ECONNREFUSED) {
> 		smtp_set_server (session, "localhost:25");
> 		smtp_start_session (session);
> 	}
> should work OK assuming identical server semantics on both ports.
> I guess if done, this should be #ifdef'ed and a configure option added
> to select the fallback behaviour.

noted.

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds