Re: Insert signature patch

On Tue, 15 May 14:11 Pawel Salek wrote:

| This stuff, together with balsa-overwriteaddress-patch is in cvs, in
| libESMTP and HEAD branches.
|
| If there are no major problems with the libESMTP branch, we will
| release
| balsa-1.1.5 really soon(TM) (within couple of days). It would be good
| update the documentation, in particular help/C/balsa.sgml and README
| files to describe recent changes.

Someday I'll document how libESMTP uses the "host[:port]" syntax.
I promise :-)

| Has anybody tested libESMTP against connection timeout (it is just a
| nice property :-)?

Unfortunately servers are rarely that sluggish or interactive users
that patient :-(

I'm limbering up to a 0.7.1 release of libESMTP.  Mostly a few issues
concerning the use of the thread safe _r versions of some functions,
minor code clean up and trapping some buffer overruns I'd missed.
Also, if there are multiple A records for the submission SMTP server's
domain name, libESMTP will try them in order to provide some form of
redundancy in the event that a server is down.  If it actually connects
to a server it will back off if it gets a 4xx or 5xx status in the
greeting or if the response to EHLO/HELO is wrong (e.g. it wasn't
an SMTP server).

I've added libesmtp.spec and libesmtp-config scripts to make
life easier for some.  libltdl is now in the tarball (in the interests
of ever greater bloat) and installed if the system doesn't already have
it.  (does anyone know what files etc. are needed for dpkg?)

If anyone is interested, I'll put up a tarball now but otherwise I'd
like to leave it until after I've sorted out the fact that
gethostbyname_r() varies wildly between systems.  Currently I can only
use the one in GNU libc2.

Regards
Brian Stafford