Re: GConf (was Re: Balsa (cvs 07-27-2001) crashes on html mail) [olaf navi pl]

On 2001.07.29 14:39:46 +0200 Pawel Salek wrote:

> Balsa does not yet used GConf for storing configuration. We would need to
> require gnome-1.4 then, at least. This step needs to be done, the
> question
> is: when (of course, having the GConf code ready cannot hurt).
>
> So, I would like to ask whether is gnome-1.4 common enough to make this
> transition now? (I have gnome-1.4 on all boxes that run balsa, but not
> all
> boxes I have under my control run it).

Hi,

1. Not everyone who uses balsa uses all gnome stuff.
I use AfterStep.
2. Storing configuration via some kind of daemon is rather silly.
3. I think that every application should have own separate config file and
shouldn't be dependend on another application to make changes in it's own
config file.
5. It looks like registry in Windows ;)

So, I don't like it. If you are going to make it, please leave an option in
makefile to disable it.

And, one offtopic question to gnome users. Is it possible to start two
gnome sessions from eg. two Xterminals using the same user. AFAIR in KDE it
is (was) impossible.

Regards,

Olaf