Re: GConf (was Re: Balsa (cvs 07-27-2001) crashes on html mail)

On 2001.07.29 19:19:57 +0200 John Merryweather Cooper wrote:
> Using gconf would not be a problem with FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE.  It's already
> using gnome-1.4 and gconf.  It would be nice for balsa to use gconf too.

seriously, if balsa is going to use that brainless .gconf with all its
crappy subdirs and subfiles that replaces one little 7kb config file
then amen.

i dont actually know why gnome needs that bad implementation of a windows
registry at all ? i had a lot of discussions about this the past days on
certain gnome channel and i also know how gconf operates in most cases.
you should first understand what it does on your system before following
the 'so high named' way of gconf. advanced users have a lot of problems
maintaining their system if they are forced to go through all the directories
and gconf.xml files...

read more here... i am sick explaining the same stuff over and over again.

1) http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/5094/100/6237468/
2) http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/5094/100/6237633/
3) http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/5094/100/6237847/
4) http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/5094/100/6256391/

i was pissed after nautilus 1.0 came out, that was reason for me to think
about a change to something else e.g. kde or xfce or back to my old motif/cde,
then i saw galeon moving to gconf and then i really understand how it works,
this was another issue for me thinking about a change you may be able checking
one apps dir with that but imagine how it looks if you get 20-40 apps that use
that stuff. its a waste of inodes and probably quota space. apps like balsa
doesnt save their own configuration anymore, they sent notices to gconf which
does the prefs save stuff for you, now think what happens if gconf segfaults
or your system hardresets. oh jesus, that stuff is the worst implementation for
gnome. also ximian realized that so they made bonobo-conf or could you explain
why there was a big discussion about this on the gnome mailinglist some weeks
ago. they agreed to use bonobo-conf as a wrapper but i am sure its not the
last word spoken on this. but as long, feel invited reading the above 4 mails
there are a couple of other replies from other users to this you can read them
in the whole thread yourself.

i could also sent you thoughts and 'free speach' of other people to you if you
request it. many people dont speak it out freely but on irc they often query
someone and then you see what they really think about it.

--
Name....: Ali Akcaagac
E-Mail..: mailto:ali.akcaagac@stud.fh-wilhelmshaven.de