Re: Fwd: Re: wrap problem [albrecht dress arcormail de]

Am 30.07.2001 11:36:29 schrieb(en) Pawel Salek:
> Well, I just happen to be born in Poland and live in Sweden; Norway is
> quite similar in this respect. I know that these few countries are not
> entire world but I think together with emacs and LaTex conventions, it
> is founded to call the "empty-line" convention "the traditional way".

Born in Germany, and live there... I, too, use the empty line to separate
paragraphs, but this might also be an influence from too much (is that
possible ;-)) LaTeX.

> And there is always a place for more than one tradition, I think.

So, why don't we implement the checkbutton "separate paragraphs by empty line"
as I suggested yesterday? This does not fix anybody to the empty line
tradition, but for the people using it, it makes life a lot easier.

For the other tradition (as I do not see the concept of soft breaks coming
with gtk 2.0, so we had to implement it ourselves, which for sure is a *huge*
amount of work!), we could change the menu item "reflow paragraph" to "reflow
selection" or something like that in this case. Then the user has to select
the region he/she wants to reflow, and in this area all \n's are interpreted
as linebreaks, not as paragraph separators.

Opinions?

Cheers, Albrecht.

    Albrecht Dreß  -  Monschauer Straße 22  -  D-53121 Bonn (Germany)
      Phone (+49) 228 6199571  -  E-Mail albrecht.dress@arcormail.de