Re: balsa, and other graphics mailer are slow

On 2001.01.19 06:00:55 +0100 Matthew Guenther wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, why don't you guys split your mail into separate
> mailboxes? Or archive older mail? I can't imagine any program would
> handle a mailbox of that size gracefully...
>
> 25 MB! Yikes! :-)

I cannot agree with you:

1. The stupid MS Exchange works very nice with 290 MB !!!! mailbox.
My boss has this one :)
Hardware was Cyrix P150+ 48 MB RAM, now is Duron 700, 64MB RAM and
no big difference in speed reading mail. The number of messages in
inbox is about 2400, and in sentbox is 1600. Opening this profile
takes about 2-3 seconds !! On Cyrix, as I remember it was not more
than 2 times slower. And ... this file is accesses from samba server
over 100 Mbit ethernet. Opening message takes very small time 0.2 s.

2. If I get 5 mails, every 5 MB big, should I create a new mailbox ?!

3. May be an optional indexed mailbox is a good way? Balsa coud move
new mail form /var/spool/mail/xxx to this mailbox. And this mailbox
could be compatibile with other MUAs (I don't now in what way the
mail is kept by them, but I'm sure, that a big part of them use
indexed mailboxes). And flock locking, and ...., and ... ;)

Regards,

Olaf Fraczyk