Re: dnd of message changes mailbox

On 2001.08.18 14:25 Ali Akcaagac wrote:

> actually i have to agree to you both. component reuse is a needfull
thing
> and has a reason, if you want to embedd e.g. abiword documents in
gnumeric
> or want to use gnome mimes within balsa or whatever you want. it's for
sure
> necessary for the future.
>
> but on the otherhand, gnome actually needs a lot of libraries for
example
> look at nautilus that is the most library hungry application i've ever
seen
> i think what he wanted to say is, that it's a bad attitude to increase
the
> number of libraries that totally confuses people. many library
functions in

That was my point - And please note I'm not attacking anyone, just
stating an opinion (if that's allowed). Also, I'm not talking
specifically about Balsa any more than any other software. The situation
I've seen in some apps reminds me of the indiscriminate use of controls
by VB programmers on Windows: link in another meg of runtime just to add
a small bit of (dubious?) functionality. Why not just write the code
instead and link it statically?

> on the otherhand i dont really belive him because he previously wrote
that
> he cant install balsa or dont want to install it because its so
library
> consuming but on the otherhand he has gnome 1.2 installed which
already
> offers him 99% of the libraries. only libesmtp is required that i now
> (and it took a while myself) like much because it replaces a lot of
> internal not secure stuff in balsa with security and RFC compliant
functions.
> so all in all he only needs to install one library.

That's not what I said - I said I was running into library VERSION
problems, with one (new) lib setting of a chain reaction of required
version dependencies. eg., I'd install lib x and it needed the next
version of lib y. I (try to) install lib y and it needs the new version
of lib z, ad nauseum. At one point, I had downloaded 11 packages to
satisfy dependencies and still wasn't there yet, so I just got tired and
stopped after a while.

I personally will go for less but more stable functionality any time.
I'm not into bells and whistles when there is a need to address core
functionality (once again, not aimed at Balsa specifically, but at all
software).

I have no interest in starting an argument here on the list, so I'll
leave it at that.

|  Len Philpot   ><>   len@philpot.org    http://philpot.org/   |
|  len_philpot@hotmail.com (alt)  len.philpot@cleco.com (work)  |