Re: dnd of message changes mailbox

On 2001.08.18 18:14:16 +0200 M . Thielker wrote:
> On 2001.08.18 15:59 Len Philpot wrote:
> > In general, I think (and certainly not only Balsa) that most Linux apps
> > are WAY too library-dependent. I don't understand why so many developers
> > use all these libraries instead of writing customized code, particularly
> > in places where the UI could be improved.
>
> And what about code reuse, lean applications and unified look-and-feel? If
> Windows is what you want, use it!

actually i have to agree to you both. component reuse is a needfull thing
and has a reason, if you want to embedd e.g. abiword documents in gnumeric
or want to use gnome mimes within balsa or whatever you want. it's for sure
necessary for the future.

but on the otherhand, gnome actually needs a lot of libraries for example
look at nautilus that is the most library hungry application i've ever seen
i think what he wanted to say is, that it's a bad attitude to increase the
number of libraries that totally confuses people. many library functions in
present gnome libraries are redundant, existent more than 1 time etc. people
are getting problems to figure out whats needed and what not. a good example
is 3 configuration systems that we have in gnome now. the old gnome-config,
gconf, bonobo-config also eazel vs. ximian did a lot of stuff that looks
nearly similar. also a lot of gnome compliant applications still depend on
the redundant imlib stuff etc. its really urgent that gnome developers start
melting together the libraries and remove obsolete stuff.

on the otherhand i dont really belive him because he previously wrote that
he cant install balsa or dont want to install it because its so library
consuming but on the otherhand he has gnome 1.2 installed which already
offers him 99% of the libraries. only libesmtp is required that i now (and
it took a while myself) like much because it replaces a lot of internal
not secure stuff in balsa with security and RFC compliant functions. so all
in all he only needs to install one library.

--
Name....: Ali Akcaagac
E-Mail..: mailto:ali.akcaagac@stud.fh-wilhelmshaven.de