Re: Unable to load the "aspell" module.

On 2001.08.14 01:00 Jason A . Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13 2001 18:19:11 Brett Johnson wrote:
> > FWIW, I just downloaded the latest libaspell and libpspell (the new
> > libaspell requires a newer libpspell than is installed on RH 7.1).
> >
> > They compiled and installed OK (in /usr/local).  But I couldn't figure
> > out how to get balsa to recognise them in that location.  Finally,
> > after wasting a couple of hours trying to do this "right", I just soft-
> > linked the lib[ap]spell installation to /usr, and balsa would finally
> > compile.
> >
> > So now I'm able to load the aspell module, and everything seems to work
> > OK, until I actually try to use it to spell check something.  If I
> > attempt to replace a misspelled word, balsa immediately crashes.  I'm
> > gonna give up on this for a while...
> >
> > Cheers! (also sorry for any misspellings)
>
> I installed the latest RedHat RawHide rpms and spell checking works
> for me now:
>
> $ rpm -qa | grep spell
> aspell-en-gb-0.33.6.3-2
> pspell-0.12.2-3
> aspell-0.33.6.3-2
> aspell-devel-0.33.6.3-2
> aspell-en-ca-0.33.6.3-2
> pspell-devel-0.12.2-3
After a lot of hassle, I finally got these installed, too. Of course, a new
version of libtool was required, and installing this caused balsa build to
fail because of some missing .la file, and on top of this, my custom
install tool ran into trouble... Just another normal upgrade job, that is
;-(

Anyhow, after the upgrade, behaviour is certainly different, but the
spell-checker still won't work. I now get:
	Pspell Error: Sorry, I can't write to the file <my home
dir>/.aspell.english.pws
whenever I try to change something. Which doesn't make sense, as the file
is writable, and is created if it doesn't exist.

I suspect this is an aspell issue, but I'd still appreciate any hints on
what's wrong.

Well, I have to correct that. I actually don't get the error message until
I hit "Done" in the spell-checker box, which makes the problem a lot less
serious, but I'd still like to know what's going on.

- Toralf