Re: implementing multiple smtp servers...

Le mar, 14 aoû 2001 11:23:00, M . Thielker a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On 2001.08.14 13:31 christophe barbé wrote:
> > Yes I know that you use that to answer in batch mode.
> > Read my last mail in balsa ml for another way to doing it.
>
> Well, that's not the way I do it. All email stays in my inbox until I
> have
> acted on it. So, business questions stay until they are resolved,
> personal
> email stays until answered and List email stays until read. Then, and
> only
> then, does it get filed in separate folders. So your solution might be ok
> for one way of managing email, but the sad fact remains that not everyone
> does it that way.

I use a mix. Procmail sperates my personnal mails, work mails and
distributes all ml mails in the associated folder.

> What needs to be found is a way to do it that would work for everyone.

Agreed.

> I would much prefer to have identities selected automatically based on
> the
> source adrress of the mail being replied to. That would just about fix it
> for any and all reply tasks.
> Balsa could auto-learn these associations and provide a dialog to
> change/delete the ones not wanted.

It's a little like reimplementing a MTA.
But actually the identity code is usefull enough do give us the need but
not good enough for a correct use. The "moderator approval" is a sign of
incomplete design (and I understand now that's the reason of the duplicated
mails in this mailing list). So we need something to automatically grab the
correct ID.

What about a dialog box to enter a set of rules to select the ID.
We can have rules like :
	Reply from mailbox : balsa -> ID=balsa-ml
	To: mybrother@familly.net -> ID=personnal

The advantage with rule based on mailbox is that you can set the ID during
the compose window creation and then set the correct signature.
But we can reavaluate the ID each time the To: field is modified.

> Also, I would like to have a prefs option where I can select to have _no_
> default identity, so I would be forced to set it manually each time. That
> way, I would get far less "moderator approval" mails....
> That would of course then be overridden by the sender-address match on
> reply....
> Now that would be nice!
>
> Melanie

This would be IMO the last step to a full featured multi-identity support.

Is this look ok to everyone or it looks over-engineered ?
I believe it could be done in a way that will not scraed new comers (and
could be hidden if the multi-identities support is not enabled).

Chriostophe