Re: [foss.in] Input needed: FOSS.IN/2009 Dates

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 7:37 PM, Stormy Peters <stormy gnome org> wrote:
> December's not a really good month for business travel in the US. I'd say
> the week of Dec 1st is out for US travelers because they'll be on
> Thanksgiving break until that Sunday.
>
> The week of the 20th is out because people will have to be home (or
> elsewhere) by the 23rd or 24th. Many may take that week off.
>
> The week of the 27th is also out. Most people take the week between
> Christmas and New Year's off.
>
> For Europe, I'd say just avoid the week of the 20th and 27th.

Looks like December is going to be a no-go.

To take this forward, are we then looking at November ? This is
important from the context of examination schedules and the like which
keep the institutes busy in Sept/Oct. However, the calamity there is
that it would be much further away from FOSS.IN making the piggy
backing of travel and schedules impossible.

At this point, I don't think we know which dates FOSS.IN is looking at.

There is another option that can be investigated (and, I haven't done
that yet) - poking around a professional event organizer and
estimating the feasibility of doing it away from the institutes. The
downside to that is that costs will rocket up (for accommodation) and,
the target audience might be missing. Additionally, I guess one
particular GUADEC has had bad experience from this kind of
arrangement.

~s