Re: [Anjuta-list] Adding po files to project

Hi Fernando,

Fernando Apesteguía a écrit :
- Creating the project _seems_ to be fine. The tarball doesn't include
the pixmaps or the po files.
I'm so sorry to say this, but Anjuta's help is quite imprecise. I
followed that instructions and the thing just didn't work.

I'm agree that Anjuta's help is not good enough, but I'm afraid that the main problem is the code itself.

There is a main difference between the project management of Anjuta 1.2.x and Anjuta 2.x.

Anjuta 1.2.x has a project file, like probably all IDE running on Windows, which list all files used and various preference for building it.

Anjuta 2.x hasn't such specific project file but rely on already an existing build tools: auto tools. The project file *.anjuta contains only information useful for Anjuta (the list of loaded plugin) but nothing specific to the project.

The advantage is that you can use Anjuta with any project using auto tools: most of the program running on Linux. It is not a problem if some developers of one project use Anjuta while other do not use it.

The drawback is that the format of the files used by auto tools are much more complex that other project file format. Anjuta understands only a subset of it and can modify a even smaller subset.

In your case, I think the current version of Anjuta cannot add a pixmap in a project.

I would like to know if it is possible that someone tells me how to
add files properly. Should I execute autogenerate? configure?

As Anjuta read auto tools file, I think the best way is to edit the auto tool files. I'm not an expert in auto tools. But I think that to add a file in the src directory containing an icon you must edit src/Makefile.am and add the following:

pixmapsdir = $(datadir)/gnome-foobar/pixmap	# The place where you
						# want to put your icon
pixmaps_DATA = \				# A list of all files
	anjuta-python-loader-plugin.png

EXTRA_DIST = $(glade_DATA) \
	     $(pixmaps_DATA)			# Add all icon files
						# in the project files

I have not checked how to do this for po but it's probably something similar. Anyway, as the auto tools are heavily used, you should be able to find thousand of samples on the net (google source is nice for such search).

If this is the case, why Anjuta's help is not telling this?

I think, it's because it's not really possible with Anjuta.

I remember that in Anjuta 1.2.x you could select the type of the file
you wanted to add (pixmap, translation, etc...) and it worked
perfectly but now there is only "Add source file"

Yes, it is the advantage of using a project file, adding files is much more easy then building the package is more limited and must fit in a predefined template.

Anjuta is improving, it will probably be able to do this later. You can even take a look at this, the part handling project is in gnome-build library and the auto tool file parser is in perl.

As Anjuta has a plugin architecture, another option could be to write a plugin able to use old Anjuta 1.2 project file (or another similar format).

PS: I promise to write a portion of the Anjuta's help when I can build
my project properly :)

Good, I will remember this :)