Re: [anjuta-devel] Why still keep Scintilla support?

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 09:07:43PM +0200, Sébastien Granjoux wrote:
To reply to the question in the mail subject, I think the goal of Anjuta is
to group several programs and allow them to communicate between each other.

These communications are done through quite simple interfaces. The editor is
not directly accessible by other part (=plugins) of Anjuta. This has allowed
us to use GtkSourceView without changing the other plugins. I think it's a
important part of Anjuta. So, I think the main role of Scintilla is to make
sure that we stay independent of the editor implementation.

Makes sense.

What is a bit strange with Scintilla is that there are implementations
for GTK+, Win32 and Mac OS X. But GTK+ is already cross-platform, with
the different GDK backends. So if you use Scintilla in a GTK+
application, there is a useless toolkit abstraction in Scintilla (but
it's an implementation detail).

The GtkTextView API is consistent with the other GTK+ APIs, it is always
the same conventions across all GObject libraries. On the other hand
Scintilla has a completely different API and coding style. So for a GTK+
application, using GtkTextView makes the code cleaner than using
Scintilla.