Re: [anjuta-devel] Project manager: changing installation directory

Hi,

Le 05/05/2011 10:02, Johannes Schmid a écrit :
The idea was to only have to display "plugindir" as installation directory
and give the user the possibility to edit plugindir (which is a group
property) through some shortcut.

Adding a shortcut is not very difficult but I think it will look strange for someone not knowing autotools.

Perhaps it's better to hide completely this directory variable
displaying and requesting only the directory variable value.
What name would the directory variable have?

The backend can create a name automatically, taking the value and removing all strange characters ($, (, )...) or replacing them with underscore. So if you enter "$(anjuta_plugin_dir)/data" it can create a variable named anjuta_plugin_dir_data_dir by example.

How would the user know it existed?

He will not know it unless it know autotools. But I don't think it's needed. Else we can put as value "name=value". By example "anjuta_plugin_dir_data_dir=$(anjuta_plugin_dir)/data" when the user enters "$(anjuta_plugin_dir)/data", so he will see that there is something special and can change the variable name.

How would you delete the variable if nothing is referring to it
anymore?

It will be removed when no target use it. Eventually, it will be a problem if this variable is used in another expression and the backend don't see it but I think it's quite uncommon.

I takes care to limit the change in the project files, so it's always possible to edit them with a text editor and I think it will be always needed for complex case.

I feer that users will start to add random values as installation
directory while they should never use something hardcoded there but always
something like $(distdir)/bla/bla. Maybe we need some kind of hinting for
this.

This value has a default value, I suppose most user will not change it. I think we can use a combo box to propose valid values.

It just has to much information. For source files it should only display
executable and library targets (just like the upper half of the
project-manager window). Same probably for other targets. I guess we just
shouldn't display the dialog at all if there is only one target to add
source files too.

Only the valid targets are display above but even for simple project you have several targets (one is used for distributed files).

I think it would be better to display only a file chooser dialog if the "Add Source" menu item is selected from the project view context menu. But then I don't know how to handle the case where the "Add Source" menu item is selected from the main menu. I can still add the source only in the selected target of the project view but it's not obvious anymore. Another solution is to add a way to select another target but we need a dialog for this. Perhaps it's possible to use a customized file chooser dialog with a expander allowing to display a part of the project view like in node properties dialog.