Re: [anjuta-devel] Project manager: changing installation directory

Hi!

I'm a bit annoyed to have a separate dialog. First, the project manager
gui is not specific to autotools, so I need to add a special type of
property needing this additional dialog. Moreover, even with a separate
dialog it's not that obvious that you have to find a name for the
directory variable.
Then what value should I display in the properties dialog something like
"plugindir = $(anjuta_plugin_dir)"?

The idea was to only have to display "plugindir" as installation directory
and give the user the possibility to edit plugindir (which is a group
property) through some shortcut.
Instead of using a seperate dialog, there could be a short-cut to open the
group properties dialog to change the variable content but that feels a
bit strange when the user wants to create a new directory variable and
wouldn't necessarily want to know that this is actually changing the group
rather than the target.

But if you have a better idea than to have a new dialog, I am all for it.

Perhaps it's better to hide completely this directory variable
displaying and requesting only the directory variable value. So it will
be displayed only as "$(anjuta_plugin_dir)" and you can change the value
as a simple string here. The backend will take care of updating the
directory variable and eventually the target name. The directory
variable name could still be changed in the group properties dialog.

What name would the directory variable have? How would the user know it
existed? How would you delete the variable if nothing is referring to it
anymore?

I feer that users will start to add random values as installation
directory while they should never use something hardcoded there but always
something like $(distdir)/bla/bla. Maybe we need some kind of hinting for
this.

Yes, I'm agree. I think now the support of autotools is good enough.
What is the issue with the add source dialog ?

It just has to much information. For source files it should only display
executable and library targets (just like the upper half of the
project-manager window). Same probably for other targets. I guess we just
shouldn't display the dialog at all if there is only one target to add
source files too.

Somehow I also dislike the general UI design of that dialog but I cannot
say exactly why.