Re: [anjuta-devel] RFC: Killing Anjuta-Extras

Hi!

1. Having some plugins in a separate module is a serious maintenance
headache.

I'm agree. On the other hand, moving these plugins out of the main
anjuta module have made the changes in anjuta easier.

I agree here. Making (stable) anjuta releases because there is so much to
test. Basically there are many things that I don't have time to test so I
still it was a good idea to limit the scope of plugins to those that are
known to work.

Moreover, it allows us to keep some useful code without all gnome
constraints.

Well, the GNOME constraints are basically only about deprecated stuff and
this stuff won't work in a gtk+3 environment anyway. Optionally we can
depend on whatever we want (and we do that with libsvn and others).

It is also not really clear what the future of the GNOME modulesets will
be so it is quite likely that we will end up in a more free "Applications"
set where we only have to take care about freezes and releases.

3. The Scintilla editor, even upstream, is not quite ready for gtk 3.0.
I don't use code folding so it doesn't miss to me but I use block
selection and multi line edit at work (not for C) and it's quite
important. I have thought about adding this to GtkSourceView instead, it
is already existing as Gedit plugin, but I don't know the code and don't
know how to start.

I would love to have these features in gtksourceview but some are still
not there. Maybe it would be easier to just split scintilla out and
distribute it as a separate plugin and not part of anjuta-extras.

To be honest I don't think any of the other plugins in anjuta-extras is
very useful at that point.