Re: [anjuta-devel] RFC: Killing Anjuta-Extras

Hi,

Le 20/01/2011 03:23, James Liggett a écrit :
While making recent anjuta-extras releases, I noticed that it has not
been ported to Anjuta 3.0. I'd like to take this opportunity to warn
anyone that uses it that I will not be making a 3.0 release for it,
because it is too late in the cycle to to expend the effort needed to
port anjuta-extras to 3.0.

I went in Germany by train this week for work. It's a quite long trip with no network but a power supply. I haven't all the dependencies needed to compile anjuta so I have looked at scintilla and make it compile with gtk+ 3. I still need to fix the draw functions and few details. The scratchbox and the sample plugin already compile too because they are simple enough. In fact, I have planned to ask you to create a new branch for Gtk 3 today.

1. Having some plugins in a separate module is a serious maintenance
headache.

I'm agree. On the other hand, moving these plugins out of the main anjuta module have made the changes in anjuta easier.

Overall, I think we probably have still gain some time doing it like this specially at the moment with all changes in Gtk. I don't really see a problem if anjuta-extras is broken for some time.

Moreover, it allows us to keep some useful code without all gnome constraints.

2. Most of the plugins in anjuta-extras are outdated and should be
rewritten anyway.

Yes, valgrind and the profiler plugin are outdated. I think it shouldn't take much time to update valgrind though but it's probably more effort for the profiler.

3. The Scintilla editor, even upstream, is not quite ready for gtk 3.0.

Scintilla editor upstream will not be ready for Gtk 3.0 but I think it makes no sense to follow Gtk 3.0 before a stable version is released for such project.

But they have made quite some changes to use cairo instead of gdk and it's still actively developed. I'm not sure the gap between Scintilla and GtkSourceView is increased.

I don't use code folding so it doesn't miss to me but I use block selection and multi line edit at work (not for C) and it's quite important. I have thought about adding this to GtkSourceView instead, it is already existing as Gedit plugin, but I don't know the code and don't know how to start.

Basically, I think we could still make a 3.0 release, if at least scintilla is ready. The scratchbox plugin is useful but not worths the release by itself. I still see some advantages of having anjuta-extras in separate module.

Anyway, I haven't really though about this. I have done it just because several events make it the easiest thing to do for me at one moment.