Re: [anjuta-devel] autoconf issue, maybe better to create new project backend for AVR plugins (based on a standard makefile)?

Hi both,

Le 16/08/2011 10:40, Naba Kumar a écrit :
Despite that, please note that CFLAGS is treated as environment
variable. So, someone else setting CFLAGS during make most likely will
override yours, and therefore could interfere with unrelated flags.

I have plan a way to set environment variables in the configure dialog.

Makefiles only projects are
very good for "up and running", but very hard to automatically manage
higher project structures consistently because of primitive rules
(i.e. every single person writes makefile projects differently) --
this is fundamentally the reason why there is no consistent
portability framework at makefile-only level - and the reason why
automake exists on top of make.

autotools project are more structured but you can write them in a lots of way too and I'm not sure we could support everything.

The only sensible management is sticking to make rules alone (this is
how the makefile-only project manager would work) without any
additional assumptions about the structures (so, no AVR specific
configure dialog, for example).

Currently, I'm agree to allow custom entries (AVR specific) in the configure dialog as a way to add additional argument to configure step or to define additional environment variable for all build commands.

It certainly doesn't prevent creating AVR makefile-only project
templates later on when we have the makefile-only project manager
ready - just like you explained. However that's where anjuta's support
for 'AVR' ends, since you can't anymore reliably manage it further.

The current makefile backend is read only but it's working internally like the autotools backend so it's probably not too difficult to allow write in it.

I think that using our current approach we will never be able to have a simple user interface like we can have on other IDE. Then, we can decide that it doesn't matter and target enthusiast beginners those will need a minimal understanding of autotools or try to find a solution.

We can create simple project backend as planned by Lucas.
Else we can try to add an additional layer on top of existing project backend which are just converting more friendly entries into arguments and enviroment variable. It's a bit the direction that we have started by adding custom widgets in the configure dialog. Perhaps there are other ways.