Re: [orca-list] using skype with orca

using the pidgin plugin for skype

hello friends,  here is how we can use a pidgin plugin for skype in
order to access skype functionalities with orca.
First and foremost you should be using alsa instead of pulse for using
multiple sound applications successfully. I achieved this by
installing speech-dispatcher and making suitable changes in the synths
conf files so that they use alsa.
1. download the skype deb package from
http://www.skype.com
2. use the dpkg utility for installing skype. the ikon   will appear
under the internet menu.
3. start skype. you will need sighted assistance at this point in
order to log in to your skype account.
4. have a look at this website
http://myjobspace.co.nz/images/pidgin/

I'll attach two files with this message, one for the 32bit and the
other for the 64bit, which can also be downloaded from the site above.
5. copy the appropriate file to /usr/lib/purple-2 or
/usr/lib/purple/plugins folder whichever may the case be.
6. now start pidgin and add a new account. skype will appear in the
protocols combo box. It will only ask for your user name. you can also
configure some other settings i.e start skype automatically if it's
not already running.

7. at this point orca will go silent as skype is not gnome-based. you
will need sighted assistance in order to allow this external plugin to
 interact with  skype. the "yes" button has to be clicked
twice/thrice. maybe you will also need to restart orca
8. your skype contacts will appear in the buddy list. you can press
application key on any of your contacts for performing many functions
like text chat and make a voice call. pidgin will also alert you  for
incoming calls and you can press accept/reject buttons. at present
only voice and text chat functions are available as far as I can
gather.
Thanks,
Aruni.
India.