Re: [orca-list] using skype with orca

Hello,
two OCR packages are gocr and ocrad, and both of these work reasonably
well for me. The most important thing is to make sure the images are in
the correct resolution (my scanners default is 600 but it needs to be
300, until I realised this I was lucky if it got one character correct
on a page, where as now it is good enough to know what is meant to be
there if there is any errors). You can pipe the output from the sane
tools to these (eg. scanimage --resolution=300 | ocrad - ). There is
also tesseract ocr, but I haven't got that working although it came from
a commercial OCR package from the 1990s as I understand.

Also if you want a GUI, then I think xsane provides a full system to
scan and get OCR, although not as quick as typing in the piped command
above (particularly if you create a script to shorten it).

Michael Whapples