Re: [xslt] Why is an invalid stylesheet parameter value not an error?

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 01:28:45PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2008-04-15 13:20:26 +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > But it isn't the same thing. I'd say:
> >
> >   --param PARAMNAME PARAMVALUE
> >      Pass a parameter of name PARAMNAME and value PARAMVALUE (written
> >      as an XPath expression) to the stylesheet. You may pass multiple
> >      name/value pairs up to a maximum of 32. If the value being passed
> >      is a string, you can use --stringparam instead, to avoid additional
> >      quote characters that appear in string expressions.
>
> The note about the encoding should be added here too:
>
>   --param PARAMNAME PARAMVALUE
>      Pass a parameter of name PARAMNAME and value PARAMVALUE (written
>      as an XPath expression) to the stylesheet. You may pass multiple
>      name/value pairs up to a maximum of 32. If the value being passed
>      is a string, you can use --stringparam instead, to avoid additional
>      quote characters that appear in string expressions. Note: The XPath
>      expression must be UTF-8 encoded.

  I made the change in SVN

> BTW, I think that passing arguments that are not encoded in the locale
> encoding is not intuitive, as arguments are generally typed by the user
> thus are in the locale encoding. IMHO, the behavior should be controlled
> by an option.

  I think that making the processing in any way locale sensitive make the
whole process non-predictable and hence way worse than the inconvenience
of understanding what is actually happening when they use a string at the
shell level.