Re: [xslt] Why is an invalid stylesheet parameter value not an error?

On 2008-04-21 10:19:25 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 01:28:45PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
[...]
> > The note about the encoding should be added here too:
> >
> >   --param PARAMNAME PARAMVALUE
> >      Pass a parameter of name PARAMNAME and value PARAMVALUE (written
> >      as an XPath expression) to the stylesheet. You may pass multiple
> >      name/value pairs up to a maximum of 32. If the value being passed
> >      is a string, you can use --stringparam instead, to avoid additional
> >      quote characters that appear in string expressions. Note: The XPath
> >      expression must be UTF-8 encoded.
>
>   I made the change in SVN

Thanks.

> > BTW, I think that passing arguments that are not encoded in the locale
> > encoding is not intuitive, as arguments are generally typed by the user
> > thus are in the locale encoding. IMHO, the behavior should be controlled
> > by an option.
>
>   I think that making the processing in any way locale sensitive make the
> whole process non-predictable and hence way worse than the inconvenience
> of understanding what is actually happening when they use a string at the
> shell level.

This really depends on where the arguments come from. If the encoding
of the arguments is regarded as fixed (to UTF-8) by xsltproc and the
user types the arguments, then this will work under UTF-8 locales,
but not under ISO-8859-1 locales, for instance. So, the process is
non-predictable in this case too. That's why I suggested an option.

If the call to xsltproc appears in a shell script and the user wants
predictability, then the script should switch to fixed locales at the
beginning, in general C or POSIX locales. As 8-bit characters aren't
defined in such locales, accepting UTF-8 encoded strings could be OK
in these locales (there would be no clash with what the user types).

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent vinc17 org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>