Re: [xslt] Extending EXSLT support to get the crypto part

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 11:56:01AM -0700, Aleksey Sanin wrote:
> Daniel,
>
> OpenSSL is known to have some functions that conflict with
> other crypto libraries (namely, md4/5 and sha1). This was
> a reason for many unexpected core dumps I've seen. Thus linking
> LibXSLT with OpenSSL *by default* would make it very hard
> to use the library with other crypto libraries. The much
> cleaner solution would be to implement a "plugins" support
> for libxslt and implement this functionality as a plugin.

  Hum, the idea is to link libexslt with it not libxslt.

> If you would decide to go and make this change then I would
> appreciate if you will not make openssl dependency default.
> For example, it would be really bad if LibXSLT RPMs would depend
> on OpenSSL.

   Hum, okay, so this seems to be a strong argument against
this extension.
   The alternate way would be to complete Mark Vakoc patch for
dynamic loading of shared libraries to get it working on Linux/Unix
and try to convert the new function to dlopening openssl and grabbing
just the functions needed for the task.
   That's a far bigger project but likely more useful as a whole.