Re: [xslt] Win2K,xsltproc ignores catalog

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 01:34:36PM +0100, Wim de Vries wrote:
> > <public publicId="-//ES//DTD journal article DTD version 5.0.0//EN//XML"
> >          uri="c:/test/art500/art500.dtd"/>
> > </group>
> > </catalog>
> > works ok: catalog does not seem to need the file:/// prefix.
>
>   Strictly speaking this is wrong ! The XML Catalog spec says uri
> is an URI Reference as defined by RFC 2396 and that value does NOT
> correspond to what you expect, that would be a relative file path
> to the current catalog i.e.
>     file:///etc/xml/c:/test/art500/art500.dtd
> I strongly suggest you fix those, this is absolutely not portable.
> And there is no guarantee that libxml2 will accept this in a future
> version. I don't intend to go back, but I want to make clear that
> if I have the slightest problem, for example someone asking why
> his file:///etc/xml/c:/test/art500/art500.dtd is not loaded in that case
> (i.e. the conformant behaviour) then I would give immediate priority
> to that conformant case.

Things that begin with ([a-z]|[A-Z]):/ are perfectly valid relative URIs,
but unlikely to be meant as such. These are mostly, if not always, malformed
Windows paths produced by the folk who either thinks that slashifying a
Windows path is all it takes, or who intentionally pollute the net with
non-conformant XML.

The right answer to that is a brutal modification of the specs to explicitly
exclude malformed Windows paths from the pool of valid URIs and to require
every conformant parser to discard these :-)

Ciao,
Igor