Re: [xml] libxml2 - Unicode compile under MSVC 2010

On 30.03.2013 02:02, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
* nscg wrote:
Since I would like to use libxml2 with a wxWidgets application in a Unicode
compile, I have been looking around for suitable libraries or DLLs.
My preference would be using MSVC 2010 Express as the compiler/debugger.

I did find instructions for building the libraries using MSVC 2008/2010 by
Fabiano Ricci at: http://www.fabianoricci.org/?cat=62,
but when I look at the makefile.msvc I see /D _MBCS which I take to mean
that the compiled output would no be what I want or need.

For the most of it, libxml2 uses UTF-8 strings internally and relies on
the ordinary C standard library functions to interact e.g. with the file
system. It largely ignores the distinctions between _UNICODE, _MBCS, and
"ANSI" one may encounter in programming Windows-specific applications.
Practically you may run into trouble asking libxml2 to open certain file
names, ...

Actually, libxml2 on Windows can open Unicode Filenames just fine - you just pass an UTF-8 encoded char* (not unsigned char*) for the filename to xmlReadFile.

cheers,
Martin