[xml] LibXML for embedded systems?

Hi,

I'm a relative newcomer to the world of XML. I'm currently working on an
embedded Linux box with about 400MHz CPU and 32MB of RAM. I am
considering using XML for my network messaging format, but I'm concerned
about the resource consumption (especially memory) of the XML parser.

I don't need any particularly fancy XML features - the only reason I'm
considering XML is because we would like the messages to be easily
interpreted by a variety of platforms and programming languages.

Is it completely insane to consider LibXML for this environment? Can
LibXML be "scaled down" in a way to fit it onto such a small device? I
was reading on the web but I haven't found any specific documentation
yet.

I've seen a commercial XML parser/toolkit out there that claims to be
well-suited for embedded devices, but I'm hesitant to buy a license when
perhaps LibXML will work.

Thanks,
Adam