Re: [xml] What is the _private field actually for?

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 10:25:44PM +1000, Michael Day wrote:
Hi Daniel,

 Hum, yeah, I don't see how to do this except by adding yet another API
with yet another extra data, not nice but I don't see a workaround.

Alright, I will submit a patch for this later then, as it's not a very
big change.

  okay, thanks !

 Well getting DTD and entity parsing right is unfortunately horribly
 complex
and it took a while to get conformant to the spec. Some of the result is
that some inconsistancies like that sneaked in because the design has been
revamped at least 3 time. In a sense XInclude is yet another extra layer in
that already complex stack.

Okay, but then it should be feasible to fix this, right? Is it

  Hopefully, yes. The core of the problem is to make sure there is no
side effects.

worthwhile me taking a look at it to see what is going on? I just don't
know much about how the SAX2 parser handles entities and when the parser
contexts get switched around, but I should be able to trace through it,
if you're willing to accept the resulting patches :)

  Sure, it is likely to end up being in or around
xmlParseExternalEntityPrivate() in parser.c though it already copies
_private if oldctxt is provided. I could chase this, I may be a bit faster
than you, but having other people learn about the code is IMHO a good thing
so if you're not afraid, go for it, definitely !

 Considering the amount of resources, and how painful the transition from
libxml version 1 has been (I only now managed to get rid of it from Fedora
!)
I have no intent for anything like libxml3 in the foreseable future, sorry
again !

That's a pity, but quite understandable; it's shocking how so many
different versions of the same libraries need to be installed to make
all the apps work. (Prince actually ends up getting linked to libxml2
and expat, which is used by Fontconfig, so two XML parsers!)

  Well, I actually changed the Licence to MIT at some point to be compatible
with XFree (at the time), but they went back to expat, I guess some people
complained about the dependancy.

Daniel