Re: [xml] more questions on catalogs

On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 10:24:20AM -0800, Rick Jones wrote:

 the master catalog will be  /etc/xml/catalog unless the system software
have been installed differently.

how does the system software inform libxml2 that the master catalog is
somewhere else - or are all the applcations on the system supposed to start
setting environment varibles?

  I can't answer for them. I pushed to have /etc/xml/catalog standardized on
Linux (with difficulties), but I can't really work on others.

 yes, that's the default from an upstream point of view.
But you should not rely on catalog being present. It's merely an
accelerator
or a way to keep instance identical in the case you may not have network
access.
 IMHO if you fully care about portability to any target OS then don't
assume a catalog and build the paths in your software.

I think I'm about to fall into a Catch-22 - the reason I wanted to use
catalogs was to deal with the situation where the system running netperf
had the netperf DTD in a place other than the system running netserver.

   Hey you can't blame me if other OSes are slow to adopt this.

The XML-encapsulated messages sent back and forth between netperf and
netserver include the reference to the DTD, using SYSTEM and giving some
canonical place such as http://www.netperf.org/netperf_docs.dtd/1.0  that
each was going to be able to map, via the catalog, to wherever the user
decided to install netperf and by extension its DTD - at present defaulting
to /usr/local/share/netperf

  Using a canonical URL for the System identifier is definitely a good thing.
But portability (of the document) requires a catalog, and portability of the
catalog system is unfortunately not there. I think I did my share to try to
solve this in the area I could have an impact on, but sorry there is nothing
I can do to get changes in HP-UX or Windows !

Daniel