Re: [xml] more questions on catalogs

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 03:40:33PM -0800, Rick Jones wrote:
I'd like to thank everyone for the help so far on catalogs.  I'm probably
just about there in understanding but have come additional questions.

First seems to be bootstrapping.  Somewhere I seem to recall seeing (but
not at http://www.xmlsoft.org/catalog.html - if my recollection is correct
that may be a good enhancement to that page) that the default place libxml2
will search for a catalog is /etc/xml/catalog.

 yes

However, that does not seem
to be created by default by libxml2 installation?

  No, this is a system resource. On a Red Hat/Fedora system it will be created
by the installer as part of the installtion scripts of the packages in the
distribution.

Using xmlcatalog to manipulate catalog files seems to depend on one knowing
where the catalog files are in the first place.

  yes

It is possible for libxml2 to be built in such a way as to have the default
catalog location elsewhere?

  You can hack it, but then you're on your own. I don't support this,
and /etc/xml should be part of the (Linux) Filesystem Standard, not specific
to libxml2.

If so, should xml2-config have a way to
specify that location?

  I'm against as I don't want to promote different paths on different systems.

It sure would be nice if one could use xmlcatalog without requiring
explicit knowledge of where libxml2 will be looking for catalogs.  I would

  libxml2 will be looking in /etc/xml, because that's where it expects the
Operating System to store the entry point for the catalog. If you don't follow
that, you're creating a divergent way, and I don't want to help doing this,
there is no good reason at an OS level to make things in a different way,
and if it's not at the OS level, then use the environment variable to tell
to search for catalogs somewhere else.

not that I plan on using the catalog manipulation routines, but it might be
nice if their mentions in the catalog.html file were hyperlinks to their
descriptions.

  True, I take patches :-) or you can bugzilla.

Daniel