Re: [xml] Line ending style on Windows

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 01:54:15PM +0200, Rob Laveaux wrote:

On 21-aug-2006, at 20:32, Daniel Veillard wrote:

  No, 1/ XML parser must convert on input
         http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-line-ends
      2/ when serializing an XML toolkit won't add extra characters to
         the document

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your answer. I understand libxml is strictly following the
specs.

Still it would be nice if this was a configurable setting.
I know other libraries such as Xerces and MS XML offer this as a
setting.

  Humpf ... for the xmlSave* functions that could be added as one
xmlSaveOption, XML_SAVE_EOL_CRLF, but I'm not fond of this really
this mean you have to check every character in every text node. This
would require changes to the xmlWriter too, to be consistent. Lot of
work and I really don't see the point, if people edit XML by hand,
they better know what they are doing and using a decent editor is
a basic requirement to do so. And if not editing by hand, that should
be handled by an XML parser and that won't change anything.
  Sounds a lot of tricky and relatively expensive work for very little
benefit.

Daniel