Re: [xml] Which interfaces should be put into LSB?

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Daniel Veillard wrote:

On Thu, Nov 17, 2005 at 06:53:51AM -0800, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
LSB provides a build environment with its own header files and stub
libraries for applications to use. The idea is to change as little as
possible in the existing distro and have all the changes done by the
application developer.

 I don't understand. If you mean not compiling against libxml2 headers
I think this is futile and hopeless.

It's an added level of abstraction for the benefit of standardization
across distros. We're trying to include the smallest subset of the
header information that would be useful to an applications developer. I
see that the email archive link you sent answers a lot of my questions.
Thanks.

That said, I'm now looking into creating the libxml2 header files to
include them into LSB. I'm trying to figure out how which interfaces
should be included, and which should be excluded. Is there a specific
list of core interfaces that should be included? The headers should be
the ones used by any well-behaving application (i.e. we won't want to
list any of the internal interfaces.)

 No specific list. Person A core item is useless to person B and vice-versa
in my experience. Plus libxml2 exports data structures not just APIs and
that can't be worked around.

I'm looking for interfaces by examining the header files. Is there a
better way of making a "list" of interfaces? I noticed that you can't

 Seen doc/libxml2-api.xml ?

I'll take a look. I was busy trying to hit as many relevant links on the
web page as possible thinking that was where the main docs were kept. (I
am trying to do my homework before I ask these questions.)

make a dependency graph of the header files because they tend to include
each other. Is there a subset of header files that an application would
use so I can just concentrate on those?

 See the previous discussion about this, I have the feeling that we are just
starting over from scratch:
  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/xml/2005-September/msg00157.html

I guess I missed that message. I thought I saw all the discussions
between you and Nilesh, but don't remember this.

Thanks!

--
Hisashi T Fujinaka - htodd twofifty com