Re: [xml] libxml version numbers

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 13:57 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 05:16:15PM +0000, Murray Cumming wrote:
Daniel, what kind of version numbers do you plan to use for libxml
releases during the GNOME 2.7/2.8 cycle? I'm asking so that we can
choose an appropriate version number for our GNOME 2.7/2.8 libxml++.

I know you don't use the odd-number=unstable, even-number=stable, but
I'm not sure what you do instead.

  Every version is deemed stable :-)

API-stable, I mean. I'm sure that not every version is API stable.

I will stick to 2.6.X until something big is changed or added.

And 2.6.n+1 will have "small" API additions compare to 2.6.n?

But so far I have no such plan, so you can expect 2.6.X to continue
for a while.

OK, so, Christophe, I recommend that you call the GNOME 2.7/2.8 stuff
libxml++ 2.7/2.8 so that you can add some API, because there is no easy
way to use the version number to show what version of the libxml API we
target.

 Then the new branch would be 2.7.X but again I don't
know what would trigger such a change. Next API/ABI incompatible release
would be 3.0.X but I have no target for this in the short or medium term.

Thanks.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com