[xml] newbie schema question

It seems to me that when using xmllint (or the libxml2
APIs), I can validate using DTDs without specifying
the URI of the DTD (it automatically parses the DTD
listed in the xml file).  It appears to me that for
schemas, I have to explicitly provide the URI, even if
I use the xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation attribute.  Is
there a way to get it to automatically parse the
schema and validate against it? Forgive me if this
question has been asked before, or if I am completely
off base.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

In case the error is with my xml, the relevant section
is included below:<?xml version="1.0"?>
<patterns
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="pattern-schema.xsd">
</patterns>