Re: [xml] documentation wishlist (was:Bug or User Error)

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 08:33:25AM -0500, Phil Frost wrote:
Perhaps in the spirit of moving to solve problems rather than only
highlight them, I might suggest these two improvements to the docs that
would make them much more useful:

- add a search function, or an index. It is sometimes very hard to find
  the module in which the function in question is.

  There is both !!!
    - the search engine is on all pages from xmlsoft.org
    - the API indexes show up on all pages
      from the developer menu like
       http://xmlsoft.org/docs.html
      yes on the left collumn. underneath the search and
      the links to sections
      "API Indexes
       * Alphabetic
       * Constructors
       * Functions/Types
       * Modules
       * Symbols"

Now I know I shouldn't overeact, but honnestly, did you look at the
documentation before commenting on it ?

- get rid of the high contrast borders. The black borders, coupled with
  the link underlining, make it extremely hard to manually grep the
  docs. I'd say get rid of all the borders, or make them very faint. On
  my sites, I often use no border, but increase the cell spacing such
  that a pixel or two of the background comes though, and give the cells
  a very slightly different color.

  Others have argued that borders did help readability. It's getting
down to aestethic viewpoint, I doubt it's really what gives troubles.
If you really want to suggest a different design, provide an example
or a patch to the stylesheets...

Daniel