Re: [xml] libxml2 performance

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 12:53 -0500, Rich Salz wrote:
I think you missed Daniel's point.  You can find out how long it would
take to parse the data just by running his xmllint command.  That's all
you need to know, right now, is the parsing effort.

I know that. Unfortunately, I don't have any data in XML format.

I don't know what your data currently looks like

The smallest useful example:

[VERSION]
  qcadesigner_version=2.000000
[#VERSION]
[TYPE:DESIGN]
  [TYPE:LAYER]
    type=1
    status=0
    pszDescription=Cell Layer
    [TYPE:QCADCell]
      [TYPE:QCADDesignObject]
        x=135.000000
        y=176.000000
        bSelected=FALSE
        clr.red=0
        clr.green=65535
        clr.blue=0
        bounding_box.xWorld=126.000000
        bounding_box.yWorld=167.000000
        bounding_box.cxWorld=18.000000
        bounding_box.cyWorld=18.000000
      [#TYPE:QCADDesignObject]
      cell_options.cxCell=18.000000
      cell_options.cyCell=18.000000
      cell_options.dot_diameter=5.000000
      cell_options.clock=0
      cell_options.mode=0
      cell_function=0
      number_of_dots=4
      [TYPE:CELL_DOT]
        x=139.500000
        y=171.500000
        diameter=5.000000
        charge=8.010000e-20
        spin=0.000000
        potential=0.000000
      [#TYPE:CELL_DOT]
      [TYPE:CELL_DOT]
        x=139.500000
        y=180.500000
        diameter=5.000000
        charge=8.010000e-20
        spin=0.000000
        potential=0.000000
      [#TYPE:CELL_DOT]
      [TYPE:CELL_DOT]
        x=130.500000
        y=180.500000
        diameter=5.000000
        charge=8.010000e-20
        spin=0.000000
        potential=0.000000
      [#TYPE:CELL_DOT]
      [TYPE:CELL_DOT]
        x=130.500000
        y=171.500000
        diameter=5.000000
        charge=8.010000e-20
        spin=0.000000
        potential=0.000000
      [#TYPE:CELL_DOT]
    [#TYPE:QCADCell]
  [#TYPE:LAYER]
[#TYPE:DESIGN]

I added indentation for clarity.

, but you could probably
build a  (small?) testcase of your expected input format without a lot
of work.

I'm working on converting the above to xml that complies with the Schema
I mentioned earlier. I will then copy the single QCADCell object many
times over.

Meanwhile, I would like to know if anybody here knows of instances when
libxml was asked to parse a file that's approximately, say, 45MB, and
how long it took to parse it. I just need to know if libxml performs
significantly better than 39s/23MB of text.