Re: [xml] libxml2 performance

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 11:00 -0700, Nix N. Nix wrote:
Meanwhile, I would like to know if anybody here knows of instances when
libxml was asked to parse a file that's approximately, say, 45MB, and
how long it took to parse it. I just need to know if libxml performs
significantly better than 39s/23MB of text.

Assuming this is somehow significant:

xmllint --timing --noout gave me a parsing time of approx 8 seconds for
a 113025049 bytes, deeply structured, indented XML file. Removing
indentation dropped parsing time to nearly 5 seconds. The machine was
a double processor with 2GB of ram:

processor       : 1
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 6
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 1526.552
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips        : 3047.42

I don't know what you mean exactly with "parsing", however keep in mind
that XML parsing does _NOT_ parse the attributes. They remain as plain
UTF8 strings and you have to parse their value by other means.

HTH,
--luca