Re: [xml] Autotools stuff in libxml2

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 07:58:13PM +0900, Mike Hommey wrote:
Hi libxml2 developpers,

I'm the new maintainer of the libxml2 package for the Debian GNU/Linux
distribution and would have a tiny little request before release of libxml2.
It would be nice to somewhat update autotools stuff by doing the following :

- Rename configure.in to configure.ac (configure.in is deprecated in latest
versions of autoconf)
- Remove acconfig.h (acconfig.h is deprecated in latest versions of autoconf)
- Apply the attached patch to configure.ac (to "fix" the "lack" of acconfig.h)
- Run autoreconf (latest version preferred)
- Run automake (latest version preferred)
- Run libtoolize --force (latest version preferred)

  Now what is this gonna break ??? The standard way to initialize
the auto* stuff in libxml2 is to run autogen.sh (it's the Gnome way
of doing things).
  I applied the patch anyway but to configure.in, no reason it would
not work

At least, a libtoolize --force would be appreciable, because latest versions
of libtools fix some detection breakage on some "unusual" architecture, and
that will prevent me to have to do it on my side ;)

  autogen.sh runs "libtoolize --copy --force", I do that at least
once a week, and always when I bump the version in configure.in,
precisely because autogen.sh is the way to rebuild the auto* from
the configure.in .

PS: BTW, are you aware of the tons of "comparison is always (true|false) due
to limited range of data type" warnings when compiling with all warnings
enabled ?

  Apparently the optimizer got smarter and defeat a cast I made to
avoid the warnings on older versions. This will be fixed at some point.
This is totally harmless.

Daniel