Re: [xml] Re: xinclude question

Enno Rehling wrote:
Bruce Miller wrote:

It may be more palatable to do surgery on the dom.

That sounds like the thing to do, and I'll give it a shot next week.

Alternatively, do you really need to carry out the xincludes in the first
place?  Ie. does your app require that they be expanded in place, or can
you simply process the document & subdocuments separately?

And of course, assuming you're not extracting some portion of the
included document via fragments or xpointers....

I would like to use XPath expressions in the document, and while I haven't tested it, I was assuming that those would balk at xincludes that haven't been carried out. But I may be mistaken. Another thing to test.

This is what I was thinking of in the first comment: If you need to do
XPath, or other transformations, that cross the boundaray between the
original document and the included ones, then you can't really defer
the XInclude --- you want to see the composite document as a whole.
But if you don't need to do that, it would be simplest to just turn off
XInclude and handle each of the components separately.

The other part of it is that, in principle, the XIncluded portions could
correspond to some non-trivial selections from the secondary documents.
If you do the xinclude processing, and then transform, it won't be easy
to figure out where to put those transformed subtrees into the secondary
documents!  OTOH, if the secondary documents are include whole, then it's easy.
(does that make sense?)

Enno

--
bruce miller nist gov