Re: [xml] wrong compiler settings for MSVC in makefile

Be careful, if you do so, because the "dllstatic" could be understood
wrong, because if you want to link the lib statically into a DLL you
need an additional define to the LIBXML_STATIC. It's the
LIBXML_STATIC_FOR_DLL define.
I am not sure, if there was an exception in case of "tls" set for
threads. You have to look-up some discussion around the beta6 time on
the list. I had a lot of problems with the lib linked statically to
DLLs in that time and before that. Somebody wanted to add that
special define at least for documentation reason (was it you, Igor?).
But hasn't done it yet.
Also...is there still the obsolete "docb" in the
configure.js/makefile? Or did they keep it for ABI compatibility.

I will second Oliver's request for alternate run-time library options.  Lots
of applications (particularly embedded) need true static libraries.  I would
propose the that what you are currently calling "static" should be changed
to "dllstatic" because that is what it is: a static library for linking
DLL's (good for little else).  There should be three options: static, static
multi-threaded (which could be a combination of the existing static and
threads options) and DLL static.  These would use the -ML, -MT, and -MD
compile options respectively.  And, if "debug" is specified, a "d" should be
appended to the above options - otherwise you get that annoying mismatched
default libs link error.

If others think this is worthwhile, I can provide the patch to configure.js
and the skeleton Makefile.

Regards,

Ed Day