[xml] Re: built libxml and libxslt, possible bugs

Daniel Veillard <veillard redhat com> writes:

I recently switched to Linux and I'm still in the process of setting
up my environment. The /etc/xml/catalog that came with SuSE
9.0 Professional is an empty skeleton, I don't know why.

It should be more than just an empty skeleton; it should contain the
following statement:

<nextCatalog catalog="suse-catalog.xml"/>

And installing any DTD (docbook, tei, xhtml, etc.) appropriate entries
will go into /etc/xml/suse-catalog.xml as follows:

  <group id="docbook-simple-1.0-0">
    <delegateSystem systemIdStartString="http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/simple/";
catalog="file:///etc/xml/docbook-simple_1.xml"/>
    <delegatePublic publicIdStartString="-//OASIS//DTD Simplified DocBook XML"
catalog="file:///etc/xml/docbook-simple_1.xml"/>
  </group>

  Well probably because you didn't install the associated packages.
again check with your SuSE support.

Yes, that could be the cause.  Because of rpm update issues in
combination with certain xmlcatalog features all catalog statements will
go grouped into suse-catalog.xml by default.  xmlcatalog unfortunately
removes comments from the catalog file and it does not support <group>
statements in a sensible way.

Karl