Re: [xml] Xinclude w/DTD segs

Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 11:19:26AM -0400, Bruce Miller wrote:
[..]
   I have added an extra flag --loaddtd to force loading external DTD

  and activated it by default when --postvalid is used:

Thanks! That's perfect.
I had just noticed something about loading external dtd in the api,
but wasn't yet sure if that was it... It was!

Or, must I explicitly declare xinclude in the dtd (and all the
places I'll allow <xi:xinclude> to appear?

  Well depends what you want. If you want to validate the input document
then yes, you should. If you want to validate the result, then no.

Aha! That question finally crystalizes the issue.
Entities only barely raise the distinction (from the user perspective,
probably not from the library developer's!), since they're in the dtd
anyway.  But since xinclude, as an extension, is optional, it forces
that distinction to be made.

Of course, with xinclude's declared in the dtd, it raises the
possibility
of a document being valid before inclusion, but invalid after!
So, I guess xinclude has to be thought of a a form of transformation
rather than purely representation.

Thanks for taking the time for the clarifications!!
  Admitted, it becomes rather complex when one start to stack multiple
layers of optional processing. This is an actual open issue within
W3C itself :-)

Daniel

Sep 17-18 2001 Brussels Red Hat TechWorld http://www.redhat-techworld.com

--