Re: [xml] Xinclude w/DTD segs

Daniel Veillard wrote:
As far as xmllint is concerned,
  xmllint --xinclude --postvalid --noout file.xml
seems to do what I want: parse, do inclusions, and _then_ validate.
But, perhaps, this approach isn't really, um, ... valid :>

  Of course in practice people want to validate after parsing, so
I have added APIs to validate an already parsed document or validate
a document against a given DTD. I think all toolkits offers this but
this is not the canonical way of doing things.

[Apologies if this is getting too far from libxml specifically,
I'll _try_ to be brief... ]

I'm still having some problems here.  Maybe I was hoping for a
"magic bullet" and am creating a "catch 22" (mixed usa-centric
metaphors?) and I'm having a hard time finding information about
how to use Xinclude.

Both entities & xinclude seem to be useful for different purposes,
eg entities provided by the DTD are like a database; xinclude
allows explicit composition of a document.
There's a trivial example of what I think I want at the bottom.

For a document using _both_

xmllint --xinclude --valid --noent test.xml
  complains about the xinclude tags not being defined in the
  dtd, which is true.

xmllint --xinclude --postvalidate --noent test.xml
  complains about the entities not being defined (during
  xinclude expansion?)

I suppose I'd want to process the dtd to get access to the
entities, but not validate till later.
Is this possible with xmllint?  Have I not tried the right
combination of options?

Or, must I explicitly declare xinclude in the dtd (and all the
places I'll allow <xi:xinclude> to appear?

Or, am I really on the completely wrong track here?
(and if so, what would you suggest?)

Thanks for your indulgence!
**********
In case I'm not clear, here's an example:
*** test.dtd ***
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!ELEMENT things (thing*)>
<!ELEMENT thing (#PCDATA)>
<!ENTITY default.thing "<thing>Default Thing</thing>">

*** text.xml ***
<!DOCTYPE things SYSTEM "test.dtd">
<things>
<thing>An Explicit Thing</thing>