Re: [xml] gnome-config & pkg-config --cflags bug

On 13 Aug 2001 20:46:49 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 07:34:24PM -0500, Chema Celorio wrote:
how about libxml2 ? libxml2 still has this problem. You can compile a
program that includes the libxml headers without a namespace. With the
current state pkg-config is returning --cflags so that the headers are
[...]
will you take a pathc to fix this for libxml2 ?

I don't think we have a lot of options here. This is not a problem for
the normal user because he installs all the libraries in the same
location, but if for example you use a /home/$user/gnome prefix this
becomes a problem. We have to either fix this in libxml or change the
apps so that they don't include the "libxml/" part which is a bit scary
given that "parse.h" "encoding.h" etc are a very common name.

  yes this is a problem, at some point libxml3 will come and then
we will be again looking for a complete solution.
  Actually Havoc Pennington suggested to use $includedir/libxml2/libxml/
so that the user's code path is never part of the include prefix and to
garantee that the binding is actually done at the configure level.

This is a nice idea, glib & gtk are doing this. But this is a different
issue, It would be nice to fix this for libxml3.

  In a nutshell, I would prefer a complete solution and make the change
once and for good. Maybe the Gnome2 release is the right time to push
that change. But I definitely want to think more about it before risking
to annoy a large part of my user base :-)

Ok, just to clear out things. The only people that you are going to
break compilation for is the ones that are including headers like :
"#include <tree.h>".

They are doing so because the worked arround the bug in question. I've
seen a couple of projects that include libxml headers like this, most
likely cause someone was trying to build it and instead of fixing the
real problem they just fixed the syntoms.

So yes, this will break things, but will also fix the headers for them.

regards,
Chema

Daniel