Re: [xml] gnome-config & pkg-config --cflags bug

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 07:34:24PM -0500, Chema Celorio wrote:
how about libxml2 ? libxml2 still has this problem. You can compile a
program that includes the libxml headers without a namespace. With the
current state pkg-config is returning --cflags so that the headers are
[...]
will you take a pathc to fix this for libxml2 ?

I don't think we have a lot of options here. This is not a problem for
the normal user because he installs all the libraries in the same
location, but if for example you use a /home/$user/gnome prefix this
becomes a problem. We have to either fix this in libxml or change the
apps so that they don't include the "libxml/" part which is a bit scary
given that "parse.h" "encoding.h" etc are a very common name.

  yes this is a problem, at some point libxml3 will come and then
we will be again looking for a complete solution.
  Actually Havoc Pennington suggested to use $includedir/libxml2/libxml/
so that the user's code path is never part of the include prefix and to
garantee that the binding is actually done at the configure level.
  This would work fine within a constrained environment like the Gnome
project but I'm a bit worried about the number of people using libxml2
right now on other project, I bet a number of those are not using
automake nor xml-config.
  In a nutshell, I would prefer a complete solution and make the change
once and for good. Maybe the Gnome2 release is the right time to push
that change. But I definitely want to think more about it before risking
to annoy a large part of my user base :-)

Daniel